Friday, June 1, 2012

The Sketchbook Project "create and Capture"

The back of my book.  I didn't do much to the covers.  I used a translucent orange marker to draw swirls.

The history behind the theme of the book.  Still focusing negative energy from my injury into my art work.  I have been  discharged from daily treatments of hyperbaric Oxygen therapy.  I have also been discharged from the wound center at Good Sam Hospital where I was being treated every week.  I the wound on my foot is finally closed up.  Hurray!  My stress level has decreased immensely since now there is no risk of infection entering my body anymore.  It was a rough 10 months thinking I could lose my foot or worse.  My big toe is on and viable enough to stay alive.  That's about all I can say.

My title page.

Paint, collage and tape.

I  just love this girl.

Paint, marker, magazine clippings, book page, and transfer.

collage, book page, paint marker, masking tape and wood stamps.

magazine clippings, Japanese tape, stamps marker.
This is s true - she does dream in vivid color.


Her wings feel clipped....... They do.
It is hard to be an active person and then have a foot injury.  It drives you completely insane-o.
I am not up to speed and can hardly do any of the activities I used to enjoy.  It's re-inventing yourself, but not by choice.  It's altering your every day for the sake of accommodating your own body.  It's hard to fathom that I actually took my freedom for granted.  I just expected Health and mobility to always be there.  When you have to depend on people to do things, take care of you and drive you around you start to realize how humbling the experience is........how the fragility of our mobility or our life can be gone in a blink.  I'm not all doom and gloom, negative Nelly over here.
I was just feeling the lack of freedom and all the other stuff poured out.
Hence the reason her wings felt clipped.

tissue paper, marker, paint, gold gel pen, washi tape, & stamps.

Little fat bird.  Caught in a cage.

folded page

Set your doubts free.

months of recovery
8/August - 4/April
I was just discharged on May 30 but this book was due.  Otherwise there would have been a 5/May in the now section.

I just love this image and saying.  

Healing is a strange thing.  You have no control over it.  Everything is completely out of your hands.  It's very difficult to stand by and wait patiently, but patience is all you can have.  This image is about the lack of control one has in certain situations.  A positive attitude is really what carried me through.....well, and denial.  I just had to keep thinking I was going to be better in the next couple weeks.  As I kept thinking that months, and months passed before me.  I'm so pleased to be released from all the daily medical attention I needed.  It was so very time consuming.  Now to get on with my life.  I am in hopes that the extent of damage is not as life altering in a year to come as it is today.  I can hope.  It's the only thing that will carry me through.......and patience.
................lots and lots of patience.

3 comments:

Mariposa said...

Having been in your position I can relate to your sketchbook. It made me cry, but in a good way. Like everything else in life, things have a way of passing. It is wonderful that you will be able to look back at this book from time to time and remember how life can change in a heartbeat...
Just beautiful.Kathie-http://beyondthestorybook.blogspot.com/

Marilyn Morrison said...

I'm a first time reader of your blog... and it is inspiring ! I love your philosophy of life, and I love your ART work.Bold and bright...
Keep the faith...life is full of surprises and not all of them are good. I can always count my blessings, no matter what, and so can you !

bohemiannie! art said...

I hope you're back on track. It looks like you've put your down time to good use. I simply love every page.